What is DHI Hair Transplantation?
DHI is a technique in which direct hair transplantation is performed. The most important difference about this process is the use of special equipment called the Choi pen. Due to the way the Choi pen is used, DHI is also known as “pencil hair transplant”. The grafts obtained from the donor area are placed in this special pen and transplanted to the bald area. The pens used in the DHI technique open channels for transplantation and are also used in graft transplantation. In this way, each hair transplant procedure is completed as a single step instead of two steps. All this is reflected in the success in practice.
What are the Features of DHI Hair Transplant?
DHI has been developed according to the needs of people in this field. Accordingly, it can be said that its characteristics positively and directly affect the success of the final result. Features can be listed as follows:
- A new hairbrush is prepared and used for each patient.
- With the equipment called Choi pen, a channel is opened to the bald area and the graft is placed at the same time.
- The recovery time is shorter as there is no need to open a channel as a separate processing step.
- The channels opened by the Choi pen fit well with the grafts, which means less bleeding.
- The hair transplanted with this technique is permanent.
- Haircut before the application is not required.
- The sowing angle can be easily adjusted when transplanting grafts with the Choi pen. This is a very important point for the natural look that emerges at the end.
In this method, the probability of damaging the hair follicles is 20 times less than in other methods. For example, while the rate of hair loss is 2% in the FUE technique, the same value is 0.1% in the DHI technique. As a result, less hair follicle loss is seen. With DHI hair transplantation, it is possible to transplant more hair per cm. This means that the hair looks denser and voluminous. Considering these features, it can be said that the DHI technique is safer, has a high success rate and provides more intensive hair transplantation.
What are the Differences of DHI from FUE?
Today, the most preferred hair transplant methods are DHI and FUE. These two techniques have some differences as well as some similarities. The grafting process is the same in both techniques. For this, collection is made one by one from the donor area. In this way, there is no scar in the relevant area and the grafts are taken securely.
Post-graft procedures are completely different. In FUE, channels are opened to the bald area first. During this period, the grafts are placed in a special solution. After the channel opening process is completed, the grafts are placed in these channels one by one.
The grafts obtained in the DHI technique are placed directly into the special pen. With this pen, the hair is transplanted directly into the canal. There is no separate grooving procedure in this technique. The pen creates channels of appropriate depth and grafts are planted in these channels. The differences and similarities between DHI and DUE techniques are as described above. The pens used in DHI provide the special advantages of this technique. The highlights of these advantages are as follows:
- Much more intensive planting is possible with pencils. While 45-55 grafts can be planted in 1 cm2 area in FUE, 80-90 grafts can be planted in the same area in DHI. Using a Choi pen prevents damage to natural hair strands.
- Exactly opening channels for each graft prevents unnecessary wide openings.
- Recovery time is much shorter.
- The final result looks more natural.
- Less bleeding occurs.
- Hair transplantation can be done without the need for a haircut.
Eligible Candidates for DHI
DHI can be applied to anyone who does not have a health problem that may prevent hair transplantation. There is no limitation at this point. The most suitable candidates for this procedure are:
- those with a hair loss problem
- those in need of a front line hair transplant
- Patients who had a second hair transplant in the past?
- those wishing to have a beard, mustache, or eyebrow transplant
- those avoiding to cut their hair before hair transplant
- requiring more intensive hair transplantation
Things to Do Before DHI
There are some important points that hair transplant candidates should pay attention to in the DHI technique. Things to consider before hair transplantation can be listed as follows:
- Hair and scalp should be washed and cleaned.
- Hairspray, hair gel, etc. Hair styling products should not be used.
- Patients should provide information about their medical history and the drugs they actively use.
- Blood thinners should be discontinued at least 1 week before the operation.
- When coming to the clinic for hair transplantation, clothes that can be easily removed should be worn on the head.
- Tobacco, alcoholic beverages and coffee consumption should be stopped.
How is DHI Applied? Application Stages
Like other hair transplantation techniques, DHI consists of several different stages. These stages can be listed as follows:
- The grafts to be taken from the donor area are loosened with a micro motor. In this way, follicle removal is much easier.
- Hair follicles are grouped according to their contents and then prepared for hair transplantation.
- Sowing direction and angle are determined. This step is very important to achieve a natural look.
- Special Choi pens are used in the DHI technique. These pens are suitable for the patient’s hair follicles and widths.
- The grafts are carefully placed inside the pen.
- The process is completed by applying pens to the hairless area.
What To Do After DHI
The post-procedure period is also important for the success of the procedure in DHI. The things that patients should pay attention to after the procedure can be listed as follows:
- The first hair wash should be done after 36 hours as recommended by the doctor. This is usually done in the clinic.
- If a clinic-supplied sleep pillow is available during sleep, this should be used to prevent swelling.
- After the first hair wash, daily hair wash should be done as recommended by the doctor every day for the next 15 days.
- Only the first wash is done in the clinic, the others can be done at home.
- After washing the hair, dry it with a clean, soft towel without applying pressure.
- Hairdryer should not be used during drying. If necessary, cold mode should be used.
- After hair transplantation, crusting occurs on the scalp. These crusts will pass in 12-15 days. If it continues after this time, you should consult a hair transplant specialist.
- For the first 2-4 weeks, you should protect your hair from direct sunlight, seawater and pool water.
- For the first two weeks, the scalp should be protected from external influences and pressure should be avoided.
- Medications prescribed by the doctor should be taken on time and as prescribed.
With DHI hair transplantation, you can have the opportunity to enjoy your natural and healthy hair at Meditürk. Make an appointment now. Contact Mediturk for the most natural DHI operation and hair transplant follow-up application after free hair analysis!